A building company and its director have pleaded guilty to breaching Health and Safety regulations on a home extension project in the Manchester Crown Court. The company has been fined £6,000 with a further cost order of £4,298 and the director has been sentenced to 200 hours of community service and has to pay prosecution costs of over £4,000.

The company built a single storey extension for the homeowners, the roof of which extended over the existing flue to the boiler. No provision was made for the flue to divert emissions and it vented into an enclosed space. This resulted in a carbon monoxide built up in the extension which seeped into the house.

Four people were taken to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning and fortunately, all four made a full recovery. National Grid notified the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) of the incident and this kick-started an investigation. HSE found that risks of carbon monoxide exposure had not been considered during the planning stage.

The lesson for business owners is to take great care to ensure that H&S matters are taken seriously. Risks should be identified at the earliest opportunity and measures must be introduced to address those issues.


If you require further advice on employment law matters, you may wish to join our community; on elXtr we have guides and documents to help you navigate everyday business issues, including employment and health and safety issues.
If you have access to the legal helpline and want to discuss your specific circumstances with a qualified solicitor or barrister, please get in touch with them.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s